Broadcast Journalism is basically the blend of two courses such as broadcasting and journalism. These two are one and are brought together due to similar features.
The broadcasting course seeks to train a student or an individual to be able to organize his or her thoughts and relay it to both audience or viewers and listeners through television and radio respectively. The person is made to master the art talking and persuading.
It is expected that through this training the broadcast course will enable a student to be able to be eloquent enough to inform, educate and entertain.
The journalism part of the Broadcast Journalism prepares the individual to know how to creatively write and sort out news and present it to all people in a print form or the social media.
Title of Program: 1. Broadcast Journalism
- TV/Radio Presentation
- TV/Radio Reporting
- News Casting
- TV/Radio Production
- News paper reporting
- News Editing
- Sports Presentation
- Disk Joking
- Video Editing/Photography
- Sound Engineering
- Film Acting and Directing
Rational: 1. To provide prospective students of the journalism and media industries with a body of relevant and current knowledge which will:
- Increase and broaden their employment opportunities within the industries.
- Provide them with an extensive theoretical and practical knowledge based on which build their careers and enable them to progress to higher levels.
- Increase and broaden their understanding of contemporary multi-platform journalism skills, and their awareness of the emerging digital media landscape and the opportunities which are becoming available.
Duration of Program: A Broadcast Journalist student should be able to complete the above course structured in one year – made up of three semesters. A semester is four months duration which is (16 weeks).
Aims of Program:
- . To train students in media related courses to cater for manpower needs of the media field;
- To conduct research and recommendation on media and the way forward the success of reportage and professionalism in journalism;
- To provide a center, teaching …………. To enhance studies;
- To provide proper audiovisual aids, as well as seasoned professionals in the various course area to ensure excellence;
- Student will write in broadcast style conforming to the ethical and principles that guide it.
- Student will develop reading habit that keep them aware of current affairs, local, national, and the world at large;
- Student will become proficient in attributing sources, getting information right, avoiding libelous speech, and understanding the ethics behind news reporting; student will learn and employ field-reporting techniques;
- Student will master the on-camera interview both in the field and in studio;
- Student will learn to use images to tell stories;
- Student will learn to write to video;
- Student will learn the basic operation of a video camera;
- Student will learn how to edit news stories in the computer;
- Student will create project unrelated to news (commercial spot, music video, graphical introduction and transition etc.).
Target Group (Entry Requirement): SSSCE/WASSCE, JHS, O level, Matured Student etc.
Assessment Criteria: A Student’s performance in a particular course shall be measured in terms of:
- The results of prescribed written and /or practical, and/or
- Assessment; of such essays, practical exercises and reports as may be prescribed for each course.
- Examinations at the end of each semester shall be marked to constitute 70% of the total marks.
- Continuous assessment based on class work; practicals, homework and tests will constitute the rest of the 30% of the total marks for the course.
Awarding Agency: National Board of Professional and Technician Examination (NABPTEX)
Learners will be able to know:
- Who a news editor is.
- Daily responsibility of decoding which news stories are printed in the paper.
- How reports are assigned, cover and checking for accuracy, fairness and write headlines.
- How planning of news paper s are done
- Steady and continues inflow of op-to-the-minute news into newspaper office.
- How to keep a carefully eye on the routine side of his/her news collection.
Summary Of Functions
- Exclusive stories of news editing.
- Organizing ability of news editing.
- Morning news conference of news editing.
- Related articles.
Learners will be able to know:
a) Who a sport presenter is.
b) Techniques in sports
c) The do’s and don’ts in sports presentation
d) Ways of capturing the interest of varied audience.
e) Soccer moms do fantasy football fanatics
f) Main interest as you give presentation
i. Given a short presentation. E.g. Money, shopping, etc.
ii. In a hospital ward
iii. Despising an image etc.